- 1 lb ground sirloin
- 1 ½ t grated ginger root
- 1 T grated garlic, about 2 large cloves
- 2 T fresh grated flat leaf parsley (plus more for garnish)
- 2 T chopped scallions
- 2 T chopped cilantro
- 1 ½ t fresh chopped mint
- ¼ C white onion, chopped
- 1 t kosher salt, ¼ t black pepper
- 1 C orange pepper, sliced into long strips
- 1 C yellow pepper, sliced into long strips
- ¼ red onion, cut into thin slices
- 1 heaping T chopped jalapeño
- 2 cups regular green cabbage thinly sliced (keep in separate bowl)
- Large handful of fresh basil leaves, gently torn
- ½ t kosher salt, 1/8 t black pepper
- 2 T light oil such as vegetable, sunflower, or avocado oil
- 4 small wedges of fresh lime
- ¾ C Raven’s Nest Peach Habanero Jam
- 3 t rice wine vinegar
Bring a large saucepan to high heat and add the water and the frozen meatballs.
Blend ground sirloin with ginger, garlic, onion, parsley, cilantro, mint, scallions, salt, and pepper. Form into small 1” meatballs and set aside. It makes about 20. Combine the slaw ingredients from peppers down to jalapeño. Slice the cabbage and set aside. Put the mango jam and vinegar in a bowl and whisk to combine.
Bring a sauté pan to high heat, add the 2 T vegetable oil, and add the pepper, onion, and jalapeño mixture. Let cook for about a minute to soften and add the salt and pepper. Toss and let sear until there’s a bit of charring on some of the peppers. Then turn the cooked pepper mixture into the bowl with the cabbage and toss. While still hot add the torn basil pieces and fold them in to gently flavor the slaw, then set aside.
In the same sauté pan, on medium high heat, add the meatballs and brown on one side. Jostle pan a little to keep meatballs turning over and cook until they are brown, and feel firm but not overcooked, which takes about 2 – minutes per side. In a small saucepan heat the jam and the vinegar slightly before you pour the jam mixture over the top. Then lower heat, and let it bubble for about 3-4 minutes on medium low to finish cooking the meatballs.
To serve, arrange a bit of the wilted slaw mixture on the plate. Top with 4 – 5 meatballs, and drizzle with the mango habanero sauce. Garnish with a fresh lime, and a basil leaf, and a sprinkling of parsley.
NOTE: Can serve with white rice if desired. Serves 4